Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What Haiti Taught Me About Home

Hello friends,

This time last week I was sitting on a patio in Haiti with about 50 other people listening to stories of the day and praising Jesus.  Let me tell you, there is nothing sweeter than hearing Jesus' name sung without abandon by some teenagers that are sold out to serving our Savior.  It blessed my heart every night to hear the stories of how God was working and the cool things they had witnessed throughout the day.

We spent our days loving on kids.  From the time we got to a local church within a small Haitian community the children would come in flocks to play futbol, jump rope or simply to be held.  It was a precious sight watching two people that didn't speak the same language bond in a way that words can't describe.

While in Haiti and upon returning I couldn't shake the feeling that I was learning more about myself and home than I was actually learning about Haiti.  This may sound strange and what I was learning was not about what you would expect.  I didn't come home from Haiti feeling more blessed because of the material possessions I have that I didn't see over there.  Material things are temporary and while they make things easier and more comfortable for sure, it wasn't something I longed for. What I learned about home is to be intentional.

While in Haiti I was extremely intentional with the conversations I had with those who I could communicate with.  I was intentional with my relationships.  I knew one thing was certain that I only had a small amount of time and so despite how I was feeling that day, I made more of an effort.  I also left Haiti wishing I could have had more opportunities to share the gospel.  That left me aching inside because I never leave a day back in the states feeling that way.  I never seem make enough time to really talk to those I know need Jesus.  I hardly ever will try to meet strangers and invite them to church.  So if I wouldn't do that in my everyday life, what makes going to a new place any different?  Why was I so willing and so eager to share my faith when I didn't know a soul?  Is it because I care too much about what people here think?  Is it because I don't care enough about those around me? Tough questions but so important to ask.  The question comes down to this:  Is Jesus the most important thing in my life and if so why would I not want to share Him with everyone I know?

Haiti was a beautiful country filled with beautiful people but Haiti is just like the United States of America in that there are tons of lost people every where you look.  There are tons of opportunities to serve and help those in need.  There are tons of ways to be intentional.

I went expecting to learn about and serve Haiti, I left learning about home and more importantly about HIM.




No comments:

Post a Comment