Monday, September 29, 2014

The Restlessness in Routine


Hey friends!

I absolutely can not believe that it is creeping into October.  These months in the fall are my favorite time of the year.  I love the crisp in the air, the long sleeves and boots you pull out of your closet whether it's really temperature appropriate to wear or not, and the soups you can start eating daily because you finally feel it is cool enough outside for it to be acceptable to eat without being sick.  I love how routine starts to form and I grab my planner and can sit down and have time to think about what my days will look like for a week at a time(yes, I actually have been leaving time for flexibility)(and no Gigi, I haven't scheduled naps although I might need to start again).  But with the school year comes a time to refresh at this point in my life.

The only problem I have found is that I am finding myself restless in the peace.  Don't get me wrong I am a girl that loves a lazy day.  This girl is secretly a little old lady at heart.  However, give me a break and I don't know what to do with myself.  This summer I was home for a solid 3 weeks the whole 3 months.  I was EXHAUSTED but I loved every minute of it (minus about half the time on the cramped charter buses that I swore were a whole lot bigger and more comfy when I was 14, which is strange because I was the same size) anyway, I felt like I was living out my purpose.  I was down for anything.  Now I spend my days back in the town I grew up in loving on tons of people.  I have this awesome job where I get to interact with a few hundred people every week, and I get to invest in some awesome people's lives and yet I feel sometimes that I am not doing enough.  Is it just me or does part of the problem lie in the fact that sometimes we still feel that the more we do the more Jesus will love us and the more we love him.  Let me say first to myself...THAT IS WRONG.

I am reading through Genesis right now, a little bit everyday, trying to soak it all in.  Something that hit me the other day more than it ever had before was that God saw what he created everyday and He knew it was good, and He took the seventh day and rested.  The GOD of the universe that created everything in the whole world looked around at what he had been doing and didn't take the final day of the week to push it even harder to try to look any better, he rested.  He set the precedent, I follow His lead.

So what does that look like in my life?  For me, it's slowly delegating a little more.  It means not trying to gain the approval of man over everything else or thinking that my works can somehow push me farther into heaven.  By His grace I'm going to get there just fine.  It means that I am okay with the times in my life where my calendar is empty and I don't feel that need to fill it.  At the same time, it leaves no excuse for laziness.

Is fall a crazy time for you?  Do you ever feel this way?  I would LOVE to talk to you sometime and take you for coffee.  There is nothing I love more than genuine conversations with friends new and old.

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I would love to meet you for coffee in Little Rock sometime!

    ReplyDelete