Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Challenge: Step Up


For the past month and half or so on Wednesday nights our student ministry team has been challenging our students to step up.  Our goal was to push them to do what they can, with what they have, where they are.  I found that as I was challenging them, I felt a new stirring in myself as well.  

Often times I feel like we limit ourselves because we feel stuck.  We feel as if the resources we have are not enough to make a difference or sometimes like we just don't know where to start.  I can say this because for the past couple months I have felt restless.  I so bad want to make a change around me but I just didn't know what to do or how to start.  Tonight I was challenged to stop waiting around or talking about it and actually take action. 

Tonight we met up for a normal youth time but I had the students separate into 6 teams.  I gave each team $5 and an hour to collect as many cans as possible to be donated to the homeless church in our area.  The adults were allowed to drive but not to help come up with ideas.  I wanted this to be student lead.  As we rushed to our cars the excitement of the competition was fresh and the students were raring to get out of the parking lot and start collecting cans.  After a quick trip to a local grocery store my team decided to go into neighborhoods and start knocking on doors asking for donations.  It warmed my heart to see the high fives between the group when someone said they would give them cans.  

After coming back to the church I was amazed at the combination of what our students had collected. In just an hour, with change to spare, and only 22 people, they had gathered over a hundred different food items to be donated.  It was such a great physical representation that we don't have to have a lot of money, time, or man power to make a difference.  I am so proud to be a part of this student ministry and I am so excited to see how Christ moves us to serve better with the resources we have been given.

Do you want to make a difference in the world?  Stop just talking about it and do something. 

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment