Saturday, November 30, 2013

23 things I have learned in 23 years

Today I turn 23 years old.  There really isn't anything to exciting about turning 23 so I decided to compile a list of 23 things I have learned over the years.  So here it goes...

1. Family is everything:  As the saying goes, blood is thicker than water.  No matter how bad you mess up or how mad you may be at each other, at the end of the day, they always have your back. 

2. Things don't always go as planned and that is okay.  Sometimes it is best to go with the flow or have a plan b, c, and d.  One thing to remember is everything usually works out just fine without us having to stress about it.  

3. Always be nice to everyone. Humans all want to feel connected and loved at their core.  Even if all you do is smile, it could change a person's whole day. 

4. Be a dreamer and then work hard. As a kid I always knew I wanted to do something awesome with my life.  My dreams included being a professional singer, a meteorologist, a storm chaser, a choir teacher, a lawyer, a politician, a chef and now a restaurant owner.  With each dream I would go to the library and check out every book I could on the subject or research on the internet.  I would make goal lists and then I would work hard to achieve my goals.  Whatever you choose, dream big and don't give up until you reach those big dreams.

5. It's not all about you. You and I are one person in over 7 billion people on earth.  The world does not and will not ever revolve around us, so instead of thinking first about ourselves, we should think of ourselves last and help someone else.  

6. Your attitude is determined by YOU.  Yes, there are some things that come our way that can make it easier to choose a negative or a positive attitude but in the end, your attitude is your choice.  Choose a good one because it becomes what you are known for. 

7. Don't blame other people for your failures.  Failures are learning experiences and if we don't own up to them, what are we really learning?

8. It's easier to trip up the stairs then it is to fall down the stairs.  (At least it is for me)

9. When you have no idea what someone is talking about, sometimes it is better just to smile and nod your head. Or be honest. :)

10. Selfishness takes away joy. I have found that the times in my life when I had an absence of  joy I was totally consumed with myself and my situations.  When I took a step back and looked past myself, I found my joy again.  No matter what we are going through, someone always has it worse than us.  

11. Boys can be just as dramatic as girls. Trust me, I lived with 4 younger brothers. 

12. Starting the day off with God can change your life. For years I would read my bible at night but starting the day off with God can completely change your attitude, how you look at others, and your humbleness. Not to mention it's biblical. 

13. Your parents...yeah they are usually right.  The older I get the more and more I realize this.  

14. Always carry duct tape the same color as your car. I believe my car is held together by duct tape in at least 2 different areas.  It's your cheapest form of cosmetic repair because you never know when you are going to hit a raccoon the size of a dog.  

15. Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS shop for deals! Look for coupons, sales, and clearances.  I love to shop online and when I do, I always take a moment to Google if there is an online coupon I can use to get at the very least free shipping.  I save a ton of money!  Also, Amazon Prime, Woot.com, and eBay are my best friend.  

16. Change is inevitable no matter how much we don't like it.  I am so bad at dealing with change, but I come by it honestly.  Growing up my dad's favorite haircut on anyone was the last one they had, every time. I have learned with time that change is going to happen and though it may take a tough adjustment period, before long, that change will be a normal part of your life that you might actually enjoy more.

17. Books open whole new worlds. I often joke that my best friends are book characters and then I finish and have to find new friends.  I read constantly and I really feel that it helps spark creativity and can take you on some awesome adventures.  

18. The person you think you can't live without, trust me you can.  It may take some time to get over them but as the saying goes, time heals all wounds and then you are just left with a memory.  Cherish the memories but know that it is okay and normal to move on.  

19. Cooking is as simple as following a recipe. I don't believe the people that tell me that they can't cook. Can you read and follow directions?  If you can do that, you can cook.  Just believe in yourself.  

20. If you are confident enough to hang out with yourself then you can be content in a lot of life's circumstances. Sometimes a nice evening to yourself can be the most relaxing and rejuvenating ones of all.  

21. You are not ready to date until you are ready to get married.  Save yourself the heartbreak, the money, and the temptation.  If you are not old enough or emotionally ready enough to get married tomorrow then my advice is have fun hanging out with everyone. 

22. Write! Whether it's in a planner, a journal or a blog. Write down your thoughts. I kept a diary as a little girl, a spiritual journal throughout my teenage years, and now since I have started this blog I have absolutely loved looking back and being able to see where I have come, and the memories I have made.  Expressing yourself through writing is one of the best gifts you can give yourself.  

23. Know that no matter what happens in life that you have a God that created you, loves you, and will always be near even when we have stepped away.

These are just a few of the things I have learned over the years. I am so blessed with the life I have been given. These past 23 years only make me look forward to the next 23+.

Until next time!

-Rachel

 Some baby pics of me from the younger years...









No comments:

Post a Comment