Monday, November 25, 2013

Music Monday: Justin Timberlake

This past Monday I took a spontaneous trip to Memphis, TN to see one of my favorite performers! My all time favorite boy band growing up was Nsync. I would dress Devin (my younger brother) up in a cool vest and hat and we pretended we were actually part of the band and sang and danced for several afternoons.  I have the video at home and if I can, I will try to post it at some time in the future because it is quite comical. I even had a huge, and I mean huge blue Nsync watch that played the song Bye, Bye, Bye when you pushed a button.  That watch ruined many a photo because it didn't match with anything I wore and did I mention it was HUGE!  So, on Friday before the concert my brother and I decided that we were going to make the trip to see the lead singer of Nsync and now one of our favorite solo artists, Justin Timberlake.  We got a pretty good price on concert tickets and devised a plan on how we were going to get there on time.   I had to work the day of and the following day but I decided that sleep was a sacrifice I was going to have to make.

Devin got to the hotel around 4:15 and we headed to Memphis.  We worried that with construction we wouldn't make it in time but we got really lucky and had no traffic problems both ways.  When we arrived I can't even tell you how pumped we were!  We decided to grab some food and head down to the FedEx Forum where the concert was being held.  Before we had left the hotel, I had reserved a parking pass about 2 blocks from the arena so that was a big relief not to have to find parking! We then took a few pictures on Beale Street and headed in the arena.

Once we got to our seats I made the not so great revelation that I just happened to be sitting by the most annoying concert goer ever.  She started the night off with casual conversation that went something like this: name, where she from, excited to see the show, are you here with your boyfriend-no that's my brother, this is my boyfriend and my girlfriend (What?). She proceeded to tell me how much she had gotten her tickets for...$430. My mouth dropped open.  I paid a fraction of that price and I was one seat closer to the stage. Anyway, she was drunk before the show started. She kept telling my to loosen up and hitting me when she did. The show hadn't started and we had about an hour.  She offered to buy me drinks all night if I loosened up.  I didn't know I wasn't loose but apparently I was to her.  I graciously declined and tried to divert my attention elsewhere when I heard her and her two concert buddies getting into it.  Next thing I know, I have beer all over my boots.  Not cool.  She got up and left and 10 minutes later called her girlfriend telling her she had left the arena and they needed to leave.  I was sitting there silently praising Jesus.  I was also praying that this was like most other events I had been to where you are not allowed to reenter.  Unfortunately I was wrong.  They came back right at the beginning of the show and for most of the first hour she kept poking me telling me to get into it.  I, trying to not punch her in the face, just took a deep breath and ignored her until she stopped.  Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.

Other than the crazy person next to me, the show was incredible.  Justin is by far one of the best entertainers our generation will ever see.  He can preform with the greats.  He sang for an impressive 3 hours.  Both me and Devin left in awe and talking about how he is definitely one of the best shows we had seen.  I would dub Justin Timberlake as the Michael Jackson of this generation.

I am so lucky to be able have crossed off pretty much all of my concert dream list by the age of 22.  I am so thankful my parents instilled in me the love of music of all forms from such a young age.  Music is one language I could speak forever.

What is your favorite music memory?

-Rachel
This is the watch I was talking about.  And look there, it's Justin Timberlake in digital form!
It was JT day in Memphis!  This was on Beale Street.
Devin and I in front of the JT day sign!
Where the magic happened.
We were a bit excited...notice the headline in the background.



Great light show!
Part of his stage moved out into the audience and he was above the crowd singing!


No comments:

Post a Comment