Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Serving the Community I Love

Before leaving Fort Smith I have had quite a few loose ends to tie up.  This summer I have been privileged to work for the church I have been attending for the past few years. Community Bible is a five church campus with locations in Fort Smith, North Fort Smith, Van Buren, Greenwood, Alma and Ozark.  I have been singing at Community Bible Church in Van Buren for the past 5 years.  I absolutely love the people and it is amazing to see how much God has changed and grown our congregation in the past few years.

Yesterday, I helped at the Elm Grove Community Center by Martin Luther King Park to sort through clothes donated by church members at all of the campus' of Community Bible.  We are having a big clothes giveaway this evening for anyone in the community, where they can come pick out clothes, shoes and even a new haircut all for free. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of clothes donated for this event.  We sorted clothes and shoes for every age you can imagine from little baby clothes to nice work suits and everything in between.  It was so awesome to see the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders at the church learning what it was like to work hard to serve others.  We worked starting at 9 a.m. till around 3 p.m.

I think that many times in this life we think so selfishly and worry so much about what we have going on and what we don't have that we forget to take a step back and be thankful for what we do.  There will be so many people come to the give away tonight that for whatever reason don't have the same resources I am lucky to have.  Hopefully they will feel the love of God through our service and care for them.  I am so privileged to go to a church that believes in reaching out and helping others around.  I pray we all learn that lesson together.

Rachel

Acts 20:35 
"In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"



1 comment:

  1. Doing something for other people just because you can is one of the best feelings in the whole world. People sometimes forget how serving others can give perspective on other parts of their lives.

    ReplyDelete