Saturday, August 24, 2013

There's nothing like a cheap Icee and a good read!

Hello friends,

Well I have almost survived my first week in Little Rock.  I have skillfully(or so I think) perused the city in my free time and have found a few hidden gems.  The best thing by far I have found was this gas station literally minutes from my house that has dollar icees all day everyday and get this...it doesn't matter what size you get, they are all the same price!  Can you say SCORE!!!  Coming from a girl who has developed a life long love affair with the frozen treat this was a big win.  I come by it naturally, my mother is an icee lover as well and from the time I was born every time we went to Walmart or Sams Club an icee was a must to begin each shopping venture.

While I wasn't busy driving around or going to the gym I found myself reading to take up the time.  For those who don't know me very well, I am an avid reader and often times get so caught up in a book that I lose track of time and stay up most of the night. Right now I am reading a book one of my best friend's mom let me borrow called A Voice In the Wind by Francine Rivers.  This book is part of a trilogy called the Mark of the Lion.  If you have read her book Redeeming Love, you would love this series and if not then you must read that book as well.  I have attached a link to this book title that if you click on it, it will take you to Amazon where you can purchase the book at an awesome price. (And no this is not an Amazon plug, although I do love Amazon, I just thought it would be nice to know where you could find the book if you wanted it.)

In the book, one of the main character's Hadassah is a young Christian girl that has lost everything and everyone she has ever loved and is now a Roman slave back in the days of the Gladiator fights.  Everyone in the story thus far believes she is Jewish because that is her born heritage and she is scared if she says otherwise she will be killed immediately.  Everyone sees her as different though and no one can quite grasp her humility and special quality.  One of the conversations she has with one of her owners struck a chord with me.  Marcus the son in the Roman family caught Hadassah praying and asked her what she believed her purpose was in life.  She replied to serve others.  He then told her that her purpose should be to please herself.  She then replied that we become slave to what we serve so if we serve ourselves then we are slave to ourselves.  I thought this was so poignant to where I am at this point in my life.  I want to be the type of person that serves others without complaint but with a happy heart.  That's what job field I am going into as well.  The main focus of the Hospitality industry is to serve others.  I want to serve the God that created me and the people he created.  If you haven't read the book and are looking for a good one, check it out.  You won't be disappointed!

Talk to ya'll soon,

-Rachel




No comments:

Post a Comment